Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Rambling Rose....

So one little visit (first of the season) to Landale and now I'm planning an area by the back deck for a rambling rose. Will have to consult Amy about this. Not sure about the colour, I really like this one but I also like the idea of a creamy flower as well. This particular one seems good for a beginner though. The plan is that we have to take down a large cedar at the end of the existing deck and we like the privacy that it creates but it just won't go with the garden I'm planning for this area of the new deck. It's ground level, no railing, just bench seating so what I thought was I could make a lattice privacy screen and hopefully (if there's enough sun) I can plant a climbing or rambling rose. If not, I can always plant a clematis.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That rose is my kind of rose. I'm finding myself drawn to all sorts of apricot-beige flowers this year.

We should do some rose experiments. I see that this one is a zone 5 at the least, which is close to my Compassion Rose. I've grown zone 5s before (Golden Celebration, for one - who survived two seasons...and my two favorite David Austen's: Winchester and Heritage are near zone 5(closer to 4) but not hardy nonetheless. You just never know. So many factors contribute to a roses' success that I would try anything zone 5 and below. Anything over 5 and I would have to treat it like an annual - or bring it in or whatever...you have the garage space, so you could store roses over the winter!!!

Give it deep rich loamy soil, banana peels, garlic, catmint?, and epsom salts or seaweed meal. Plant them deep too (graft union under the soil by a few inches).

This is where I want to order Compassion from:
http://www.oldrosenursery.com/

:)