Friday, May 11, 2007

For the Birds.....

Sambucus canadensis 'Golden Elderberry'

I think that for my shady garden by the garden shed I'm going to plant some elderberrys. I think they'll grow to make a nice backdrop and transition between the lower growing plants and the treeline background. I like that they provide berries for the birds, that's a must! I've also read that if you plant more than one variety they will produce more berries. Sounds good to me! One variety that I will definately try to find is the 'red-berried elderberry'. It's importance lies in the fact that the berries ripen just in time for the baby birds to feed on. That's so awesome!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Awww...I love that shrub. That's the one I sketched into one of the corners of my garden. I love the color of the foliage in contrast to so many other darker plants.

I am jealous, however, of your space - and that you CAN plant more than one.

Very nice!